.shout

.07S03A
.anna
.jiashen
.szeyin
.andrew
.walter
.eugene
.kavina
.pandeng
.priscylia
.sabrina
.sharon
.sim
.hungwen
.junyang
.elvina
.teckming
.xiong
.furen

.archives
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
October 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
September 2010
January 2012
July 2012

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hi people,

Today, I'd like to share with you guys why I think I am such a lucky person.

Every day, when I'm in camp at my pass office, I see long stretches of Bangladeshis, Indian, China workers queuing up to change their passes. These people come here to work for a living, their families miles away.

My base has this escort system, where personnel without high enough clearance, are required to be escorted whenever they need to do work in the base. This applies to many of the contractors and the foreign workers that come here. As such, at times i am required to escort these people. Inevitably, I will talk to them and ask them where they are from, and observe what they do.

An indian which I spoke to doing manual labour, digging soil with chunkos said he was saving up money in Singapore so that he could marry his fiance back in India. He has been in Singapore for more than 2 years now, and wants to go back soon. Who knows if the fiance would be with another guy when he returns. This is probably one of the harsh tests of the strength of relationships.

The rubbish truck collector/driver has a family in China, and plans to end his 3 year contract this year. It is not an easy job, going around singapore in the hot sun, running around emptying garbage bins the whole day, crushing garbage, day after day.

These men work more than 9 hours a day. they want to work 12 hours at times as overtime pay is worth it, since they don't have families in Singapore. However, because of this, the escorters, who are Singaporeans, have to wait until 7pm or even 8pm just to see them leave the base. These escorters, (can't reveal their names because of security reasons) have families, kids to raise, some still in primary schools. Sometimes they have to work on Sundays as well.

So, I think I'm lucky. At least I get to see my family, though not so often these days.

Blogged by the dreamer at 6:58 am

***